State of Idaho Opportunity
Idaho Department of Juvenile Corrections
Applications will be accepted through 4:59 PM MST on the posting end date.
The Idaho Department of Juvenile Corrections, St. Anthony facility is seeking a full-time Cook to join our food services team. Our team prepares and serves delicious and nutritious homestyle meals and snacks for our juvenile population. Please note that while some knowledge of supervision is required for this position, this position does not currently have supervision duties.
If you feel that your experience does not quite meet the Cook Sr. position MQ's, please refer to the underfill position of Cook in the MQ portion of the posting that would qualify you.
To learn more about Idaho Department of Juvenile Corrections visit our website: IDJC
1. Coordination/work direction:
- Plans and prepares daily work for cooks and food-service workers and/or institutional clients
- Coordinates assignments and instructs in food preparation, serving, and sanitation
- Monitors progress and trains staff in job skills and work habits Provides input for performance evaluations
- May interview applicants and recommend hiring
- Insures menu item quantities are adequate
- Insures proper use of standardized recipes
- Confers with supervisors and dieticians regarding use of leftovers, substitutions, and recipe adjustments Inventories foodstuffs and insures adequate supplies are available to meet daily needs
- May provide supervision and therapeutic positive peer culture to institutional clients
2. Food Preparation:
- Prepares meals within guidelines of menu and dietary requirements, and the standards of appearance, taste, temperature, and sanitation
- Cleans and prepares fresh fruit and vegetables Pans, chops, mixes, breads, and cooks meats
- Prepares salads and salad dressings Bakes breads, rolls, biscuits, muffins, cakes, cobblers, and cookies
- Prepares frosting, icing, puddings, fillings, gelatins, and whipped toppings Purees or juices fruits and vegetables
- Bakes, roasts, stews, fries, and steam-cooks food Prepares cold meats, casseroles, and sandwiches
3. Service and Sanitation:
- Carves and slices portions of food Applies gravies, sauces, and garnishes
- Dishes up servings according to menu combinations or individual diets
- Insures cleanliness of cooking and serving areas
- Maintains sanitation by proper care, cleaning, and storage of equipment and utensils
- Demonstrates proper use and maintenance of equipment to prevent accident
(Wage: $17.00-$17.96) Cook, Senior Minimum Qualifications:
- 6 Months or more of work experience in food values, basic nutrition in the preparation of special diets and supervisory practices.
- 1 year or more of work experience or knowledge revolving around implementing methods and materials used to prepare foods for large-scale institutional use.\
- 1 year or more of work experience or knowledge revolving around use and care of cooking utensils and equipment.
- 1 year or more of work experience or knowledge revolving around sanitation and safety practices used in food handling and preparation.
- 6 months or more of work experience performing large-scale quantity cooking, training others in food preparation and serving, following recipes and menus, calculating volume measurements used in cooking.
(Wage: $12.50- $14.02) Cook Minimum Qualifications:
- 3 months of work experience or knowledge revolving around methods and materials used to prepare foods for large scale institutional use.
- 3 months of work experience or knowledge revolving around use and care of cooking utensils and equipment.
- 3 months of work experience or knowledge revolving around sanitation and safety practices used in food handling and preparation.
- 3 months or more of work experience performing large scale quantity cooking, following recipes and menus, calculating volume measurements used in cooking
Benefits: We offer a competitive benefits package that includes the following -
The State of Idaho is committed to providing equal employment opportunities and prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, political affiliation or belief, sex, national origin, genetics, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws.
The State of Idaho is committed to access and reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities, auxiliary aids and services are available upon request. If you require an accommodation at any step in our recruitment process, you are encouraged to contact (208) 334-2263 (TTY/TTD: 711), or email [email protected].
Preference may be given to veterans who qualify under state and federal laws and regulations.
Idaho Department of Juvenile Corrections
P.O. Box 83720